[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, September 28-October 4, 2012

[IRCA] Mostly Mexican MW DX to Enid OK, September 28-October 4, 2012

All times and dates strictly UT. Rx: mostly DX-398 with internal antenna only.

These logs are excerpts from my daily all-band reports, mainly SWBC, also VHF/UHF, sometimes, utility, ham, which may be found in several archives without much delay, such as

** CANADA. 990, Oct 1 at 0505 UT, CBW Manitoba with ``The Sunday Edition, Round Midnight``, part 2 of a special about Glenn Gould. Sufficient reception at first, but I bail out due to DXing priorities, planning to hear it later on demand:
http://www.cbc.ca/thesundayedition/
But no! Streaming of the entire TSE program is now available only within Canada due to music copyright issues! Well, CBW is invading American airspace on 990; how is that really any different? They should put up a wall (or null to protect us from them). On second thought, please don`t (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** CANADA. 1610, Oct 3 at 0616 UT, Spanish briefly overcomes the 1600 KATZIBOC long enough to hear a 416-area code phonumber, i.e. Toronto`s CHHA, 6250 watts day and night, a figure apparently computed as sufficient to overcome Montreal in the local area. Soon faded back into the noise level (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 540, Sept 29 at 0604 UT, NA ends and full ID for XETX, Chihuahua, ``Grupo BM Radio``, poor signal; Cantú: 540 XETX La Ranchera de Paquimé + FM 90.5 Nuevo Casas Grandes, Chih. 1,000 250
(Glenn Hauser, oK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 600, Oct 1 at 0607 UT, WMT IA is unusually strong with local weather after some news, so I try to null it, and do hear a M&W chat show starting, ``hasta las 5 de la madrugada``. Since I get it OK in the WMT null, it may not be very far west. Of the nine XEs on 600, per Cantú the two most likely here are:
600 XEDN Wow + FM 101.1  Torreón, Coah.  1,000 1,000
600 XEMN La Regiomontana Monterrey, N.L. 1,000   500
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 660, Oct 1 at 0428 UT, a couple of mentions of ``aquí en Tampico`` amid the QRM, perhaps a preacher, so I am led to conclude instead of the DF or NL stations, this is per Cantú:
660 XEAR La Mexicana + FM 101.7 Tampico, Tamps. 5,000 1,000
Also later heard an FM ID ending in .7 (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 660, Oct 1 at 0557 UT, Chihuahua anthem, 0558 different music, jingle. The only Chih on 660 is per Cantú:
660 XEACB La Lupe + FM 98.9 Cd. Delicias, Chih. 3,000 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 680, Oct 3 at 1220 UT, Pollo Loco ad, string of PSAs, ads, some mentioning Sinaloa, 1222 fading. So it is per Cantú:
680 XEORO La Mera Jefa + FM 93.7 Guasave, Sin. 1,000 500
And Pollo Loco exists in Mexico too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 710, Oct 2 at 1232 UT, still a remnant of Spanish as this is only 4 minutes after sunrise now, altho SRS is mostly gone from the lower third of the band. Presumably XEDP, La Ranchera de Cuauhtémoc, usually last-out (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 710, Oct 3 at 0555, XE NA is already playing, then ``Soy Soldado`` super-militaristic recitation, and 0558 Chihuahua anthem, so obviously XEDP, La Ranchera de Cuauhtémoc, usual dominant signal with 100 watts at night? Yeah, sure. However at 0606, open carrier/dead air allowing KCMO to be heard underneath (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO [and non]. 750, Oct 3 at 0559 UT, soft rock in English, dominating channel, where`s WSB? I don`t even have to null it. Then full ToH ID for XHCSI on FM 89.5 and XECSI on 750, Éxtasis Digital, música en inglés, Sinaloa, Radiorama. Then NA at 0602, which was in Spanish (hmm, I wonder if anyone has ever recorded an English version? North Americans might be shocked by the warmongering anti-American lyrix, but then what about the SSB? ``Dime, ¿puedes ver por la luz de la alborada, lo que alabamos tan orgullosamente?``). Anyhow, good work for only 250 watts if we believe:
750 XECSI Éxtasis Digital + FM 89.5 Culiacán, Sin. 5,000 250, says
http://www.mexicoradiotv.com/frec_am.htm
0605, WSB starts to fade back in
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 760, Oct 1 at 0555 UT, choral NA is playing early, presumably headstart on local midnight and the only XE in the UT-6 zone per Cantú is:
760 XEES Antena + FM 102.5 Chihuahua, Chih. 10,000 1,000
It was from SW and could not null out WJR (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 760, Oct 3 at 1223 UT, dominant signal with Chihuahua news about quejas, i.e.:
760 XEES Antena + FM 102.5 Chihuahua, Chih. 10,000 1,000
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 770, Oct 1 at 0459 UT, ending ``La Media Hora Estatal``, and ``once en punto`` timecheck. Per Cantú the only XE in the UT-6 zone is:
770 XEREV Los 40 Principales + FM 104.3 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 100
and it looped SW, but 100 watts? Unlikely. Considerable QRM and a bit later someone ran a 5-letter XH### FM ID. This was Sunday night, so would have carried mandatory `La Hora Nacional` at 0300-0400 UT live, apparently not delayed one hour if they followed it with the State Half Hour. Also: 770, Oct 1 at 1229 UT, Sinaloa government PSA, surely XEREV too (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 770, Oct 3 at 1223 UT, Dominos.com.mx ad where anyone can dine for only 42 pesos; IFE PSA; copa playstation ad; government PSA for the 62nd legislatura at the Cámara de Diputados and the wonderful things it will accomplish; 1226 ``40 Principales`` jingle, IFE PSA, FM & AM ID but hard to copy with reverb, music, ad for Institute of American English en Sinaloa; 1228 another PSA about Sinaloa. So it`s:
770 XEREV Los 40 Principales + FM 104.3 Los Mochis, Sin. 5,000 100
Per Cantú.

You may wonder why I get so many Sinaloa stations in Oclajoma? I suppose the skip distance is favorable, round about one kilomile, and the direxion to the SW rather isolates them from much of the US and rest of Mexico, especially helpful for sunrise skip.

Distance is also ideal for sporadic-E on VHF TV, but Grupo Pacífico on 2 and 3 already has DTV duplicates on UHF, so analog may not last much longer (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 850, Sept 29 at 0547 UT, discussion called `El Mundo del Trabajo`, loops SW and KOA not a problem during momentary fade, but soon resurging. Two possibilities in Cantú:
850 XEM  Milenio Radio     + FM 103.7 Chihuahua, Chih. 5,000 500
850 XEUS Radio Universidad + FM 107.5 Hermosillo, Son. 1,000 200

I would dearly like it to be the 200-watt XEUS which sesquidecades ago was on SW 6115, but its program grid
http://www.radio.uson.mx/programacion.html
indicates rock music at this time, in a widely varied format.

Milenio doesn`t seem to have a program grid for radio, but it does for TV, which may or may not be providing // soundtrack for radio.
http://tv.milenio.com/horarios
Lots of talk shows, but nothing by this name shown now or at any time (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 870, Oct 4 at 1217 UT, XETAR, Guachochi, Chihuahua, La Voz de la Sierra Tarahumara, with numerous IDs in passing, ``Espacio 870``, local music and announcements only in Spanish while I listened briefly. Fair and clear signal, no QRM. XETAR is now an oddity with no // FM outlet to announce with priority. I hope they stick with AM!

Many of the other SRS regulars were in, such as 620, 650 (XETNT), 710, 730, which I don`t always bother to relog unless I capture an interesting detail which might be of ID help later to others (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 990, Oct 1 at 0613 UT, choral NA playing at odd time, from southwest, lost to QRM by conclusion at 0615. Assuming it`s a bit late after local midnight in the UT-6 zone, there are only two in Cantú:
990 XEHZ HZ La Pura Sabrosura + FM 105.5 La Paz, B.C.S. 1,000 250
990 XEER ER Estéreo Romance + FM 92.9 Cd. Cuauhtémoc, Chih. 5,000 250
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1110, Oct 2 at 0518 UT, weak but steady signal with YL in Spanish, sermon? Mentions amor. Loops W/WSW, but where`s KFAB Omaha? It`s off the air! Not due to propagation as WHO Des Moines is inbooming on 1040. However, heavy IBOC from unnullable KMOX 1120 in opposite direxion requires offtuning to 1112 for best clarity. 0529 another announcer mentions ``católica de Ciudad Juárez, Radio Guadalupana``, i.e. per Cantú:
1110 XEWR Radio Guadalupana Cd. Juárez, Chih. 500 D

Oops! This is midnight, not daytime. Who else thinx it`s a daytimer? WRTH says 1/0.5, so fulltime. IRCA also has 1000 and -500, 24 hours with AC/Oldies format, and misspelt ``Guadeloupana``, a name which certainly implies Catholicism. The minus before the night power indicates ``presumed, suspected or estimated``.

Without KFAB, I null XEWR and most of the KMOXIBOC and hear another very weak signal seemingly in English. Not many on at night; I would prefer KBND in Oregon to WBT in North Carolina. At 1222 check, KFAB is back on when it counts, and with some CCI, probably KVTT (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1180, Oct 3 at 0536 UT with the Cuban pileup nulled, I hear some weak Spanish music. The only two XEs to the SW in Cantú are:
1180 XEUBS Radio UABCS        La Paz, B.C.S.     10,000 D
1180 XEJK  Ke buena + FM 95.3 Cd. Delicias, Chih. 5,000 1,500
And only one of those should be on in the nightmiddle. But as usual, other listings contradict Cantú which is presumably more recent. WRTH 2012 claims XEUBS is 10 kW fulltime, and that the Delicias outlet is ``XEDCH, Romántica 11-80``. The IRCA Log from last year also had XEDCH but 5/0.25 kW, and XEUBS with night power of -1 which means it may be on at night with unknown power. My money is on XEJK (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1300, Oct 2 at 1218 UT, C temp forecasts hour by hour and day by day, ``Radio México Noticias con Alejandro Velasco``, phone numbers in Ciudad Juárez and El Paso, Tejas, break for ads, or rather PSAs. Good dominant signal with 38 kW daypower at SRS; LSR here today will be 1228 UT. Cantú:
1300 XEP Radio 13 Cd. Juárez, Chih. 38,000 200
(Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

** MEXICO. 1550, Sept 28 at 0530 UT after Mexican music, announcement mentions Nuevo Laredo, Tamaulipas, México, so it is the expected:
1550 XENU La Rancherita Nuevo Laredo, Tamps. 5,000 250
per Cantú; as the signal was more or less dominant, I would have assumed more than 250 watts (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)

UNIDENTIFIED. 1180, Oct 2 at 0501 UT, 1 kHz tone amid the QRM, looping NW/SE, then goes off. On again at 0523 check. Probably one of the multitude of Cuban jammers (Glenn Hauser, OK, DX LISTENING DIGEST)