Re: [IRCA] How do you keep track of your DX Loggings for AM, FM etc?

Re: [IRCA] How do you keep track of your DX Loggings for AM, FM etc?

I must admit that I am almost totally computer-illiterate (I know nothing about spreadsheets, Word Perfect, any of that stuff), so what I simply do is keep two lists -- one by frequency, one chronologically -- of what I've heard in e-mails that I update by opening them up, typing in new loggings, then sending the e-mails to myself, and repeating the process as needed (recently I've moved these to my drafts folder, and I will occasionally print them out).  The chronological list is pattered after one that Earl Higgins used on a greenbar sheet that he printed off from Iowa City in 1988 and gave to me.

I do not count call changes and only count frequency changes if I hear a new station on an old station's previous frequency.  As an example, I have both KCCV-760 Overland Park, KS and KCTE-1510 Independence, MO in my logbook, but beside the KCCV logging, I've included the notation "Originally logged on 1510 on 4/9/1988".  By doing this, I am not listing any one callsign more than once in my by-frequency logbook.  When the time comes, IF I hear KZNE-1150, I will do that very same thing, since I've heard WTAW on both 1150 (in the spring of 1988) and on 1620, but will only list the WTAW callsign beside the 1620 logging with a notation similar to what I used for KCCV.

Like Todd Skaine, I, too, have also acquired old issues of DX News, DX Monitor, and "Hot Tips & Targets" (the original paper publication for DX mid-AMerica) in reconstructing my old Iowa City logbook, which numbers somewhere around 1350 domestic stations heard on AM from October 26, 1985 to December 10, 2001.  I'm giving strong consideration to moving back there (AGAIN!) next year, and it's nice to know what I've got and what I still need in terms of stations logged.

73,
Rick Dau
South Omaha, Nebraska (for now....)