[IRCA] WPAY apparently doesn't

Hi All:

I was tuning around the FM dial today and stopped by the old area powerhouse, WPAY, which gets out extremely well.  Lo and behold, no more WPAY-FM on 104.1.  Though playing cw, they ID'ed as WNKU, and were doing Cincy traffic reports.  Their TOH ID listed not only FMs at 89.7, 104.1 and 105.9 (Middletown) but also WPFB AM-910.  I used to be able to hear WPFB here when the Marietta 910 was silent during the middle 1990s, then under them when they came back on.  But WLTP so dominates the channel now that there's nothing under it.

With WPAY-AM in its second lengthy silent period in the past seven years, and the continued decline in the Portsmouth economy, I have to wonder if WPAY AM and FM might be gone for good.  That probably also explains the change from rock to cw by the 101.5 Gallipolis FM.  WNXT, 1260 in Portsmouth appears to be surviving, but I haven't heard them do any local origiination in a long time.  All ESPN now.  The 1520 in Greenup, Kentuckky, also appears to be gone for good.

73
David Faulkner
Albany, Ohio