Re: [IRCA] RG11

>>Depends on the type. If it's the copper based version, regular UHF
plugs can be soldered on just as is done with the more common RG-8. The
aluminum based type would use a specific crimp connector which would
require the right tools.
One problem with RG-6 for MW frequency is the loss. The center conductor
is copper coated steel. This has a higher resistive loss as the
frequency drops. RG-6 used for video is solid copper center conductor.
This is for composite video, not VHF or UHF.
Rather than use RG-11 I'd probably buy RG-8 that is suitable for being
buried. Even RG-58 would be OK if it's under 100 feet or so. It can be
bought with connectors already installed. Plug and play.
Another test I made is making a balun for each end and using CAT5
ethernet network cable. It's balanced and gathers less noise or unwanted
signals on the way in. Also cheap and very easy to build.
Craig Healy
Providence, RI<<

Thanks Craig. I have thought of  using the RG11 for TV UHF to drop a bit
of loss. However the distance I am going is only 70-80 feet. I am
currently using RG6, so I don't know if the added work & expense would
be worth it. I would rather use copper over aluminum.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
Seaside OR