Re: [IRCA] Spain on 855 and KOA IBOC off again

Re: [IRCA] Spain on 855 and KOA IBOC off again

KOA may be having problems at the transmitter. A couple weekends ago I noticed that the flasher for the beacons had failed. With the top of the tower in thick clouds the beacons were flashing very erratically and sometimes would stay off for several minutes. I believe that most beacon flashers are designed to fail in the on position but that did not happen. The problem was quickly corrected at the beginning of the week so they must have known about it. I wonder if they took a lightning strike?

By the way several of the air traffic controllers at nearby Centennial airport use the KOA tower as a landmark for incoming flights from the southeast. I frequently hear them say "report at the KOA tower".

KOA does not have an auxilliary tower. But it does appear that they have some kind of setup to allow them to manually switch the tower to what I presume is an auxilliary transmitter building. I have observed a sort of slant wire feed system with a wire attached to the tower just above the first set of guy wire attachments. This wire runs over to a tall electrical pole next to a seperate building next to the main transmitter building. The down feed of that wire appears to be equipped with an electric power line type of fuse that is in the open position to interrupt the feed from entering the building. It appears that they can close this fuse to complete the circuit from the antenna into this building. Very interesting! There is a new mall with a Sports Authority store right next to the transmitter site. Parking in back by the loading dock places you just about 300 feet from the north side of the tower.

Pat Griffith