Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 12-4... 1503 kHz Follies

At 17:48 12/4/2009, you wrote:
> Ready to write
>off  the band, I gave one final check on the high band TP's, not expecting
>to find  even a strong carrier.
>
>The first frequency to check was 1503 kHz, and much to my surprise, JOUK in
> northern Japan had decent audio-- the only decent TP audio on the entire
>band at that time (1514 UTC). This was a station that had never been heard
>here  at much above the noise level, and now it was fairly strong with the
>distinctive  NHK1 interval music:

I noticed the upper band lift as well, Gary, but never got any real audio on 1503, though it sounds as if it only happened for a short period.  Intriguing about hearing something else there also.  I think AM DX reception can offer the reverse of FM "capture effect" where the strongest station grabs the channel.   In the AM case, having a stronger station on channel can seem to allow weaker stations to ride along on the coattails of the stronger carrier of the dominant, sort of an "enhanced carrier" effect.

What do you know about the NHK1 "interval music"?   They use this distinctive tune at a number of different times, and I've ID'd a couple of weak NHK1 stations by hearing that tune.   Is it a break between regular programs, and does anyone know where it originates, or did NHK create it?   (you can tell that DX is in the dumps when one starts wondering about such things...)   In a similar vein, does anyone know the origin of the NHK2 s/off music box?

best wishes,

Nick