[IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 12-4... 1503 kHz Follies

Hello All,

Like Nick and Colin, I was very unimpressed with this morning's TP
propagation initially, and thought that the band was a total bust. Around 1450  all
the "powerhouse" TP's were struggling to maintain audio, and this mediocre
situation did not improve at all by 1510. Only 738-Taiwan and 594-JOAK had
weak audio by 1512, and even they were near the noise level. Ready to write
off  the band, I gave one final check on the high band TP's, not expecting
to find  even a strong carrier.

The first frequency to check was 1503 kHz, and much to my surprise, JOUK in
 northern Japan had decent audio-- the only decent TP audio on the entire
band at that time (1514 UTC). This was a station that had never been heard
here  at much above the noise level, and now it was fairly strong with the
distinctive  NHK1 interval music:

_http://www.mediafire.com/?mujdjookh4g_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?mujdjookh4g)

Listening in as this weird propagation boost continued, I wrapped up the
recording at 1516, with JOUK's NHK1 interval music coming to a close. I
didn't  know until listening with headphones later that there was a definite TP
co-channel on the 1503 kHz frequency with JOUK at 1516, apparently either
Korean  or Chinese:

 _http://www.mediafire.com/?nm5wnzki42t_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?nm5wnzki42t)

I quickly checked 1494 kHz to hopefully hear the UnID Japanese from a week
ago, but there was only a weak carrier on the frequency. 1566 and 1575  kHz
also were nothing special, with only weak carriers on both at 1518. I  have
no idea why only 1503 kHz had such a weird, sudden propagation boost  this
morning, but even JOUK was only a weak carrier by 1519. Probably this  is
one reason why TP-chasing is so fascinating, and why it's so hard to  give it
up even in the "December doldrum" month :-)

73, Gary DeBock

Spotting receiver:  Modified ICF-2010 (30" loopstick)
Main receiver:  Modified C.Crane SWP (7.5" Slider loopstick + CFJ455K5  IF
filter)
9' and 7.5' (side) PVC tuned passive loops (in the cold back yard)