Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 12-4... 1503 kHz Follies

Re: [IRCA] Puyallup, WA TP's for 12-4... 1503 kHz Follies

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your comments about the bizarre 1503 kHz reception of JOUK (and
an UnID co-channel TP) around 1514 UTC this morning. It was certainly a
surprise, being very much out of character with the rest of the mediocre TP
propagation.

As you described very well, I have also noticed the "coattail  effect"
where weaker co-channel TP's will often be heard along with the  dominant
station during sudden, strange propagation boosts. This  happened quite a bit in
November on 594 kHz here, with either the UnID  Chinese or the KBS1 Korean
fading in together with NHK1 JOAK, even when the  rest of the band was
relatively dead. It seems like the selective propagation  boost is for one
frequency only (like this morning's weird 1503 kHz boost),  leaving the rest of the
band unimproved. During the sudden 1503 kHz boost  there was only a weak
carrier on 1494 (nowhere near audio).

Although my TP-DXing experience certainly isn't much compared to yours  (or
that of other noted DXers), I have involuntarily become quite familiar with
 the NHK1 "interval music," primarily because of the time spent on 594 kHz
chasing the KBS1 Korean (and the UnID Chinese) recently. It seems this
"interval  music" is played not only before the top of the hour, but in between
individual  programs, such as it was in this morning's 1515 UTC recording of
1503-JOUK. The  NHK1 "interval music" also was inadvertently recorded in
many recent 594  kHz MP3's of the Chinese and Korean stations mixing with JOAK
here, such as  midway into this short recording of the UnID Chinese mixing
with JOAK on  November 27th:

_http://www.mediafire.com/?dxhguvjwyjy_
(http://www.mediafire.com/?dxhguvjwyjy)

Last month this 594 kHz NHK1 "interval music" was somewhat irritating
because it covered up the DX I was chasing, but this morning it provided a "de
facto" identification of 1503-JOUK, since 594-JOAK was down in the noise at
the  time :-)

73, Gary

In a message dated 12/4/2009 11:42:37 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
nhp@xxxxxxxx writes:

At 17:48  12/4/2009, you wrote:
> Ready to write
>off  the band, I  gave one final check on the high band TP's, not
expecting
>to  find  even a strong carrier.
>
>The first frequency to check  was 1503 kHz, and much to my surprise, JOUK
in
> northern Japan had  decent audio-- the only decent TP audio on the entire

>band at  that time (1514 UTC). This was a station that had never been
heard
>here  at much above the noise level, and now it was fairly strong  with
the
>distinctive  NHK1 interval music:

I noticed  the upper band lift as well, Gary, but never got any real audio
on 1503,  though it sounds as if it only happened for a short period.
Intriguing  about hearing something else there also.  I think AM DX reception can
 offer the reverse of FM "capture effect" where the strongest station grabs
the  channel.   In the AM case, having a stronger station on channel can
seem to allow weaker stations to ride along on the coattails of the stronger
carrier of the dominant, sort of an "enhanced carrier" effect.

What do  you know about the NHK1 "interval music"?   They use this
distinctive tune at a number of different times, and I've ID'd a couple of  weak
NHK1 stations by hearing that tune.   Is it a break between  regular programs,
and does anyone know where it originates, or did NHK create  it?   (you can
tell that DX is in the dumps when one starts  wondering about such
things...)   In a similar vein, does anyone  know the origin of the NHK2 s/off music
box?

best  wishes,

Nick

original  contributors and do not necessarily reflect the opinion of the IRCA,
its  editors, publishing staff, or officers

For more information:  http://www.ircaonline.org