[IRCA] TP for 16 Oct from Victoria, BC

Oh my, bad mistake this morning, didn't start listening until 1408UT, and the band was boiling.   You get a feel for how the band is, which stations are likely to be heard on a given channel, and they just get more readable as conditions improve, and if you're lucky, something unusual will start showing as well.  At the time I started listening, somewhat bleary-eyed, it seemed the rule book had gone out the window.  Let's see, two stations plus a jammer on 603, but neither seemed to be the usual Korean, whose parallel was thundering in on 558....that sort of thing.  Fortunately I had time today to listen until past 1445, but things started to fade slowly by 1420UT.

pretty darn good audio (at least briefly):

567 JOIK //594 later on; earlier, this was weaker, and either broadcasting a different program from 594, or wasn't NHK-1 at all.  In fact, the talk sounded KK to my untutored ear, but no KBS1 parallels available.
594 JOAK  w/ something underneath at times; really, this and 774, and later, 972, were in a separate category above this rating.  Thunderous.
747 JOIB at 1451UT; best of NHK2 at the time.  This seems to have lower modulation than 774 or 828, relegating it to usually lower readability.
774 JOUB
828 JOBB
972 w/something underneath, massive from 1451 to 1454UT, no fading.
1566 HLAZ, the clear frequency really allows this to shine, undermodulated or not.
1575 VoA

reasonable audio  at  times during the period (though often battling w/splash or noise):

279 R. Rossii
531 JOQG //594
558 KK and JJ as usual, pretty close to "darn good audio"
603 HLSA // 558 at 1438; earlier it was a jammer and two unID stations
675 Vietnam //weaker 5975; something else underneath; this was also briefly even better than this just when I started listening
936 mx, likely Anhui, creeping to "darn good audio" at times
945 CNR-1 //5030 at 1434 o/NHK1 synchros which had dominated at a lower level earlier
954 JOKR w/JJ talk at 1445
1287 JOHR, pretty consistent

not so reasonable audio, occasional words in splash or noise:

153//189 R. Rossii  (234 off by this time)
612 JOLK //594 at 1442; a mess earlier
621 two stations and a hum, one station at least seemed CC
738 woman in oriental language not //1143
837 seemed to be //594, so likely JOQK, though the 1 kw Hokkaido repeater can't be ruled out on a morning like this
864 JJ talk not //1287; lots to choose from
873 JOGB //828 at 1442UT
918 CC talk
963 two stations battling
1008 jammer? (growling sound) plus JONR presumably, with JJ talk
1017 unID mess.  Dominant sounded like Tagalog, lots to choose from
1089 CC talk, but otherwise a mess
1188 JOKP //594 at 1439; new for me at home
1134 KK talk //972 earlier, but CNR1 //5030 at 1435UT; wonder if this is a new, coastal, transmitter?  Golmud is a long way inland, near Tibet, but conditions have been so unusual, anything is possible.
1143 CC and mx assumed to be Taiwan, but not heard on 738
1242 JOLF w/JJ talk
1314 hum plus JOUF
1503 JOUK //594 later on

Burbles in the splatter and noise:

702 a couple mixed with a hum, no luck with IDable material
711 sounded like KK talk, later.
756 maybe Korea, as not //5030;   need  a consistent KBS1 parallel!
801 hum and ?
819 hum and possible N. Korea
1278 China?
1359 just a mumble
1386 almost certain was //828 for NHK-2
1512 sounded like CC inflected talk
1539 slow mx and woman talking, but no clues?

Strongish het, no audio (either undermodulated or ravaged by splatter):

....usually, some audio could be winkled out; too busy with them to check out carriers!

best wishes,

Nick