[IRCA] TP + Alaska QSL Returns Since 2001

[IRCA] TP + Alaska QSL Returns Since 2001

Have been going over my QSL reports and records going back to the Summer-Fall 2001 Season to develop a hit list for long-time non-QSLers. It's time to try them again. Since the Summer of 2001, I've sent out 150 reception reports to Trans-Pacific stations and Alaska. I've received 120 QSL responses or an exact 80% return rate. My pattern has been to send only one follow-up about 90 days. Though I've not analyzed those records, my feeling is that I get just over half of my QSLs with the first report and maybe 40% of my total on a follow-up. Follow-ups do pay off, for sure!

Of the 30 stations that did NOT respond, 12 or so are from notorious non-QSLers: The CNR stations over the past two years have not responded to a single report out of 6 sent(before then it was 100% response.) Three others were to Fiji, after they quit QSLing and two were foolishly sent to KBS stations in Korea. They just do NOT QSL. Others that seem to not QSL after repeated attempts are 531-R.Pacific Is. and 783 Access Radio, both in New Zealand and 5RN 891 Adelaide, Australia. Of the more "normal" non-responses, a significant number are regional stations in China where writing in EE may be a problem or lack of staffing and interest might come into play.

Anyway, the eastern and southern Pacific Rim continues to be a very bright spot in the much diminished world of QSLing. I'm really hooked, so I'm grateful to be DXing at least one area of the world that continues to have plenty of targets and a tradition of reply.

John Bryant
Orcas Island, WA, USA
Winradio G313e and various Ultralights
Wellbrook Phased Array + Superloops