Re: [IRCA] ALA 100 and related thoughts

As Nick alluded to earlier, not all would agree with that assessment....
what I consider to be a wealth of knowledge on this and other subjects
exists at:

http://www.w8ji.com/magnetic_receiving_loops.htm
**
and an excerpt from that page:
**
*Small loops are often referred to as "magnetic radiators". Folklore claims
a small "shielded" loop antenna behaves like a sieve, sorting "good magnetic
signals" from "bad electrical noise". *
*Nothing is further from the truth! At relatively small distances a small
magnetic loop is more sensitive to electric fields than a small electric
field probe. *
**
My experience with the ALA100 has been that it picks up locally generated
noise, close in and local just fine.   It is much less adept at picking up
signals.  I purchased mine with the expectation that it could be a better
performer on the LW BCB signals than any of my wires - which are certainly
not of a length approaching a beverage at those frequencies.  It hasn't done
that. My current loop is part of a former K9AY installation  - 30 high by
30' wide triangle with fibreglass supports.   A 10' x 10' diamond loop
configuration has also been tried.  Tonite, there was respectable audio on
189, 171 and 153 khz on the 240 degree beverage (maybe 700' long).  Only on
153khz were the wire and ALA in the same ballpark (10 db or so).

For MW TA signals, the story is similar.  There, my wires could be
considered of beverage length, albeit fairly short.  It hasn't been
of enough merit here to even bother hooking it up since last winter, but I
did so again today just to reconfirm my earlier observations.  For
domestics, it seems generally ok.

While it may be a good option where space is minimal, we are talking about
Patrick's situation, and I am not all convinced that it would be a
worthwhile cost effective answer for him.

regards,
Don