Re: [IRCA] Sort of On-Topic radio announcement...

Re: [IRCA] Sort of On-Topic radio announcement...

When I took and passed the novice amateur radio exam a few years ago, it was for the express purpose of making it easier to buy transceivers (should I want to get another one for the receiver section), and to make it easier to take radio equipment across the USA-Canada border for DXpeditions, etc. I figured the border inspectors will be less suspicious of a trunkload of gear if I can show them a U.S. amateur radio license, even if operating on the ham bands isn't the purpose for my trip (I wouldn't have to mention that :^)

When John Bryant and I drove to and from Canada last year for our DXpedition to the Queen Charlotte Islands/Haida Gwaii with Walt Salmaniw, I didn't need to get out the ham radio license. It was assuring, though, to know I could show it if needed. Sadly, the ham radio hobby is perceived as more legitimate than DXing other parts of the spectrum.

Guy Atkins
Puyallup, WA USA
www.perseus-sdr.blogspot.com