Re: [IRCA] Antenna for LW

Hi Dennis:

I am a townhouse dweller with the LW bug.  As Nick says, an active whip
can pick up local noise.  The LF Engineering H-900 whip I was able to
sneak up to the roof, though very sensitive on LW, is indeed plagued with
whatever my neighbors' appliances are throwing off.

For my tabletop comms receiver, I recently got a LW head for my Quantum
Loop.  The head itself is not as sensitive as the whip, but I can steer it
around and null out the local noise.  I also have a large box loop which I
place in front of it to provide passive phasing and substantial gain, and
I can get almost as much signal as the active whip while still being able
to steer around the noise.

For portables, the Quantum Coupler or similar can be used to transfer the
output of the Quantum Loop (or any external antenna) to a portable, and
really works well.

Another option for a portable is the Quantum Stick (Q Stick) - it makes a
huge difference.  On receivers such as the Sony 7600GR and Grundig G5,
it's like night and day, and again allows for nulling of local noise. It
makes a great travel combo, since it works on MW as well.

73 - Kevin S
Bainbridge Island, WA