[IRCA] Thoughts on 500Kw watt radio stations

[IRCA] Thoughts on 500Kw watt radio stations

Why is radio against me?

The other day Saul and I had a discussion about the fact that there is nothing to listen to on AM radio. AM BCB radio is pretty B-O-R-I-N-G! A person can hear just so much of Rush,
and other liberal talkers, just so much country, soul and noise.

However, with football season upon us, and I now have a chance to hear all my favorite teams that are not shown on television here in the Chattanooga market. I have been waiting all week to hear the University of Texas game against UTEP in El Paso, TX. You would think that the station to listen to would be WOAI-1200 as they carry all the games for UT and all the games for the Dallas Cowboys.

NOT SO! Wouldn't you know, on 1200, of all the times to _CHEAT_ WJES would have to be on from out of South Carolina, with some type of crappy music. A 10Kw daytimer has to pick tonight to cheat! Haven't heard from them in over 4 months, but tonight of all nights they have to cheat!

So, I tune around and find that ESPN is playing the Texas game on WMVP-1000 from Chicago. GREAT! I say to myself. But that is short lived as XEEP from Mexico is fading in and out on top of them and there is a strong het on 999. All of this would normally be fine, BUT WHY NOW?

What this shows to me is, there needs to be a few, not many, 500,000 watt stations located around the country -- as there was in the mid 30's. The stronger power would make it possible to over come foreign QRM, propagation conditions and semi-local cheaters.
Wouldn't need but maybe 6 stations all total.

Stations I think that would make good 500Kw broadcasters. Based on program format and location.
WOAI-1200 San Antonio, TX.
WLW-700  Cincinnati, OH
WMVP-1000 Chicago, IL
WBAP-820 Ft. Worth, TX
KYW-1060 Philadelphia, PA or
WPHT-1210 Philadelphia
WBZ-1030 Boston, MA
WSB-750 Atlanta, GA
KFI-640 Los Angeles, CA
KNBR-680 San Francisco, CA
KSL-1160 Salt Lake City, UT
WLAC-1510 Nashville, TN
WAQM-560 Miami, FL

This is just a list, other stations might do a better job with programming, etc., than what I have listed here.

PLEASE, do not write me with dumb comments like, "Why don't you get satellite radio?" or "Buy cable television" or "Get Direct TV" I do not have money for such luxuries nor are they available to people who live this area.

Thank you for your time,
Willis
Old Fort, TN