Re: [IRCA] Yamaha receiver-OT

--- On Fri, 8/15/08, Patrick Martin <mwdxer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> My new DVB satellite receiver will pass AC-3 audio, so I
> bought a new
> Yamaha HTR-6030 receiver with 5.1 Dolby. A complicated
> unit. I fiqure
> for $164 including shipping from Amazon.com wasn't a
> bad price. All I
> really needed was an Amp, but they were more than the
> Yamaha receiver,
> 100 watts per channel, must more than I will ever need
> There is even an
> input for XM radio, included is quite a sales pitch. I
> still need the
> docking/tuner unit, if I wanted it. The receiver has AM/FM
> Stereo, but
> not one mention of HD. Nothing. I found that rather
> interesting.
> Apparently Yamaha doesn't find it viable. But they are
> sure pushing the
> XM. It would have been just as easy to put that HD chip in
> the unit than
> the XM set up. .  Now, Ibiguity, how in the world do you
> expect to sell
> HD, if the receiver manufactures are not pushing it?
> No one cares...and no one is listening.

Or, just for fun, visit any number of K-Mart, Wal_Mart, Best Buy, Circuit City and other stores which sell lots of home entertainment equipment and ask if they have any HD radios. Or HD tuners. And see what kinds of looks, comments, and other non-answers you get. The salespeople don't know what they are, don't know if they ever had them in stock, but they certainly don't now.

They're not going to sell many radios taht way -- and they haven't... and won't...

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]
40:08:45N; 75:16:04W, Grid FN20id