[IRCA] Grundig G6 comments

I got one of these from Amazon & returned it, asking for a refund. Maybe they will get it de-bugged soon, but it may be still too soon to try another.

  No complaints with the shortwave, 20" whip seemed just as good as Kaito KA-1102 with longer whip. Selectivity seems about 5 kHz, with a good shape factor & ultimate rejection.
  The audio is very pleasant in the "news" position. This is not a wide/narrow switch as I originally thought when they said it reduced interference. I guess the interference it reduces is low frequency noise. I didn't try to program any of the 700 memories.

  The news position isn't as loud as the music position. Maybe 31 (maximum) on news equals 24 on "music". The only reason to use the music position is on a very weak station where full volume on "news" isn't enough. The volume is not too loud on either setting, but 31 on "music" can sound distorted. SSB sounds great once tuned in-it takes the fine tuning a long time to go 1 kHz.

  On FM, distant signals seemed weak and/or blocked by noise, just a continuous rapid static noise between stations or on a station if the antenna isn't pointed just right. FM seems also slightly less selective than the Kaito KA-1102 as 93.1 @ about 70 miles was interfering with 92.9 stations. But in no circumstances did a local interfere with a FM DX station 2 channels away (Unlike the Kaito KA-11 I returned).

  On MW, there were tones on many frequencies (mostly below 800 kHz) & more when using the AC adapter. Also, it depended on how I put my hand on the radio & various button settings would somewhat change the strength of the noise. MW signals strengths pretty good for size of radio. Uses 2 AA batteries. Fits in a shirt pocket easily. Under 1/2 lb.

  Air band: a distorted noise across it, perhaps overload. But it did get the local voice station with pilot weather info.

  LW: It got several airport beacons with the built-in antenna, the lowest one 350 kHz & faint, so it obviously drops off quite a bit.

  They're going to start marketing the G6 with a Buzz Aldrin 50th anniversary sticker. I wonder if those will be any different? I may try another one later if someone says the noises on FM & MW have been fixed. George Sherman