Re: [IRCA] QSLing

To date I have 112 Japanese MW QSLs. All the way from seven of the 50
watt Lighthouse stations to the 500 KWers. I am trying to log & QSL  at
least one from each prefecture if possible. I have about 2/3 now. But
some only have lp stations.  Being only 4,000+ miles from Japan, the
country is easy to log and especially in the Fall, many of the low
powered JJs are common.  The Japanese stations are fun to log. IDs are
pretty easy to catch on the commercial stations, as they use slogans
often. Japan probably is one of the best in obtaining QSLs. I have
nearly 100% return. Most have beautiful QSL cards too.  I wish most
stations around the world were that easy to QSL. Many of the engineers
are active Hams too and the Japanese DX Clubs ae very involved. I know
of several Japanese MW DXers that love hearing Filipinos and
Indonesians. I would love to visit Japan one day and visit some of the
stations I have heard. I got my first MW JJ QSL back in the 60s. I
believe (without checking), the QSL was from 5 KWer JOHP, then on 1300
khz. This was from Seward AK which is much closer to Japan. I remember
well listening night after night to the Far East Network, then on 1550
khz from Tokyo. Now they are on 810. The FEN in Seward AK, was about as
common as Hawaii is here. Their Top 40 rock format was cool to listen
to.
Bringing back a lot of memories, Armed Forces Radio Taiwan with 5 KW on
1560 was another common catch. I even got one of their 1 KW relays on
1570 QSL'd too.  It makes me think about moving back to Seward.....

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KGED QSL Manager