[IRCA] ULr DX Sprint Comments

Well, its over and done... I had an absolute ball listening and will be entering both the overall station count and Americas DX, though I doubt that I'll be more than in the middle of either. I hope that everyone had as good a time as Gil and I did!

For those of you officially entering the Sprint, be sure and edit your logs to conform to the rules governing the Listening Period. You should turn in no more than three time periods, total, none of which may be less than 30 minutes and the total time of those three (or fewer) segments needs to be under four hours.

I think that the Ultralight movement and the DX Sprint has finally solved one of life's vexing problems for me. One day in the not too distant future, I'll be moving into much more restricted quarters.... a retirement village, a progressive care facility, or some such. I've idly wondered what I'd do under those circumstances... for the first time in fifty years, unable to put up an outside antenna, etc..... Well, DXing in the hospital a couple of months ago was a real eye-opener, with just my T615, barefoot, hearing Mexicans all over the dial. Now, this DX Sprint.... Using a tuned ferrite antenna booster bar and a DT-200VX receiver, modified for tighter IF filtering, I was never limited in any way by my receiver.... and, in fact, the nulling capability was quite helpful. And, DXing domestically for the first time since February 1960, I've found that morning and evening drive time radio maintains a lot of its local character. In fact, if we could get rid of syndicated SportsTalk, those time periods would be almost exactly like the radio that I remember from the good old days of the mid-50s. (I hasten to add that in the mid-50s, the mossbacks were pining away for the Good Old Days of the mid and late 1930s!)

Anyway, the Ultralight movement and th Sprint have shown me that I can continue to enjoy DXing if they put me in the Funny Farm or the Old Folks Home. LIFE IS GOOD!

Lets get those logs submitted to the Judges (three segments, none less than 30 minutes, total no more than four hours.)

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods) + Lotsa Ultralights
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)