Re: [IRCA] UltraLight Awards + Definitions

Re: [IRCA] UltraLight Awards + Definitions

Hi John:

You have some great ideas!

My idea for using 10 ounces and 20 cubic inches was to allow units like
the CCrane SWP (Redsun RP-300), Sangean DT-220V and Eton E100 (Tecsun
PL-200), while precluding the Kaito-Degen 1101/2/3, Sony 7600GR, Eton E5,
etc.  As a point of reference, the SRF-59 itself is around 10 cubic
inches/3 ounces, the near-limit Eton E100 and CCrane SWP are around 16-17
cubic inches/7 ounces, while the "gargantuan" Sony 7600GR is around 50
cubic inches/20 ounces.

I like your idea about the receiver being marketed to the general
consumer.  To me, the first three on the list above are still fairly
pedestrian: I have seen many $10-20 shortwave sets out there that no
semi-serious hobbyist would ever touch, so I wouldn't necessarily make
shortwave inclusion a stopper, and while these modest units have whips for
FM and shortwave, they all have tiny ferrites for AM as well.  On the
other hand, anything with SSB, synch, tuning meter, variable bandwidth,
antenna jack, variable attenuation, fine tuning less than 1 khz, line out,
"big ferrite bar" claims, etc. would raise a red flag, again eliminating
the Degen 1103, Sony 7600GR, Eton E5, etc.

Regarding barefoot - my experience with the SRF-59 is that my hand on/near
the ferrite can really make a difference, such that "barefoot" might also
need to mean "barehand".

73 - Kevin