[IRCA] UltraLight Awards + Definitions

At 06:36 PM 12/30/2007 +0000, you wrote:
>2) Which DX accomplishments would you like to see rewarded?  (Number  of
>states heard, number of TA or
>      TP contacts, number of countries heard, etc)
>
>3) What kind of rewards should we offer?  (paper certificates or  actual
>Ultralight radios)

AWARDS and RECORDS

I'd think that we might want to run awards much like I experienced in
NASWA.... Things like Heard Five Countries, Heard Ten Countries,
Heard Five States, Heard Ten, Heard 15, Heard 5 TAs, Heard 10 TPs,
etc..... and that these be available whenever the DXer qualifies for them.

Personally, I'd also like to see some running records for reception
by a Ultralighter.... Longest Distance Domestic 50 KW Reception,
Longest Distance TP and Longest TA Reception, Longest 5000 Watt
Domestic Reception, Longest 1000 Watt Reception... These wouldn't be
Awards, but would be running records kept on a website like the GY
records on Bill Hale's site.

DEFINITIONS

The group (whatever that group is) sure needs to define what is and
what is not an UltraLight receiver.... or maybe set up a committee to
do so, since some judgement is likely required... I was by RShack
today and saw a dandy Eton/Grundig shirt pocket set for $49.00 (the
Grundig mini-300PE). Had shortwave, too and a digital dial. I
wouldn't want to buy it, if it weren't going to be considered to be
an UltraLight. If things start getting organized, whether within IRCA
or without, I'd strongly suggest that some basic definitions of "what
an UltraLight is" be established.  I'd suggest that, after some
discussion on the IRCA group,  a committee of maybe Gary DeBock,
Steve Ratzlaff and Nick Hall-Patch develop such a definition and then
act as a Committee to decide which models meet that description....
there will always be some question.... We really do need a Committee
of GrayBeards to apply judgement to the situation, because I don't
think that we can create a definition that is totally self-cleaning
and always easy to apply as new models arrive.

Kevin's suggestions of an UltraLight definition are a good place to
start discussion....

"Speaking of size, weight and cost, it seems that an "Ultralight" is
something that:
  1.  weighs less than 10 ounces w/o batteries
  2.  is less than 20 cubic inches
  3.  costs less than $100"

Personally, I think that 10 rather than 20 cubic inches is more
likely a good rule.... and I'm not too sure about the weight 10
ounces is pretty heavy.... AND I think that they should be weighed
without batteries installed. The $100 price tag has a nice sound to
it, but if the price is artificially high (as in imported directly
from the Far East) maybe the $100 rule (or whatever) needs to be
applied with judgement.... the committee again.

Personally, I'd add "Designed for consumer rather than hobbyist or
professional use" (that might rule out most portables with SW bands
on them, for instance) and I'd limit the antenna to a "ferrite bar or
similar" ruling out whips.  If I were a god for a day, I might even
specify the maximum size ferrite bar that could be used in a
recognized UltraLight, just like the hams define the strength of transmitter.

The only reason to define things is if we are going to share loggings
specially "UltraLight Loggings" or if we were to have contests or
awards. Otherwise, anyone can use any radio they wish and submit
loggings to IRCA, NRC or whatever.... However, if we are gonna have
specially identified "UltraLight Loggings," much less awards, then
definitions are a very necessary thing.

We also need to define just what "barefoot" means, if we limit this
activity to "barefoot," at least initially  "Barefoot" clearly means
that the receiver is unmodified electrically, but does that also rule
out magnetically coupling of large antennas to these radios (I think "yes").

Does "barefoot" rule out non-electronic physical modifications???  I
hope not, but maybe it ought to, at least initially. I hate those
little analog dials, but I'm becoming intrigued at the idea of
opening up the case, mounting the receiver on a small board and
experimenting with various "improvements" in the dial.  Was it one of
Gary's  efforts to hot glue a lid on the dial wheel to make a
bigger/better wheel?  I'd love to play with marrying the 59 to some
really sophisticated gear-driven dials from the 30s and 40s, via a
long flexible plastic tube.  IN ANY CASE, deciding just what
"barefoot" means is pretty important, too.

I think that it is pretty important to remember that these
definitions can be modified over time, if there is a small committee
of Greybeard DXers to appeal to.

John B.
Stillwater, Oklahoma, USA
Rcvrs: WiNRADiO 313e, Eton e1, NRD-535(kiwa-mods)
Antennas: 700' NE/SW mini-Bev, Wellbrook Phased Array (pre-production version)