Re: [IRCA] web mailers

Well, my original (and still active) email address dates from 1991.  I now
own the domain and host the SMTP server at my office.  It's DOS based UUCP.
When malware comes in, DOS simply chuckles at it and stuffs it off in a
corner.  I did end up having to write my own text-based spam filter, but it
works.  The WWV solar reports come from that DOS system and run
automatically.  Not sure I could get that to work on a purely Windows
system.

For general email, I have found it most useful to register a domain name and
let the domain registry host the SMTP/POP3/IMAP server.  The "Bubba" address
I use here came about from having too much time on my hands one evening and
poking around Network Solutions to see what domain names were available.
Having your own domain name will enable you to control your email address.
Too many times have I seen someone lose their address because a company was
bought out.

For the client program, I use Outlook Express with security cranked down as
tight as it will allow.  In conjunction with a good internet security and
virus scanner, it's been fine.  I've tried Outlook, Eudora, Thunderbird and
Pegasus.  Didn't like them.

I do have a Yahoo account, and a Hotmail account that I use for other lists.
I don't especially like them.  I really have not found anything better than
registering a domain name and letting Network Solutions or Pair Networks
handle the email.  The yearly cost to register the domain name and have the
email set is a bit under $50 per year.  It can be less if you register at
one of the cheaper registries.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI