Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 1450 sweep tones

Thanks for your thoughts Bill. I agree that it would seem like a great idea, and I have indeed approached close to half a dozen Canadian stations so far that have announced they are leaving AM. Of the couple that responded, their answer was basically "it's too late to do anything." I think perhaps they were just being polite and were not really interested in doing a test. Plus, the CEs were also probably quite busy with the switchover. Still, I'll keep trying whenever I hear of an impending demise of a Canadian AM station. And if anyone has an "in" with a station that would be optimal. Thanks again.

Jim Pogue

From: DXERak@xxxxxxx

In a message dated 11/7/2007 8:13:53 AM Central Standard Time, jrenfrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>>     1450 CHUC is having its last day on the AM band.  Periodically, there are
announcements inviting listeners to tune to the new FM.  The announcmeent is
accompnaied by sweep tones.     <<

I wonder-- are we missing out on a great DX opportunity by not approaching Canadian AM stations that are scheduled to go off and asking them if they can run a DX test? Or even sweeps (or Morse ID's) during their regular programming, as Jim points out CHUC is doing?

I know that while some stations continue simulcasting the FM, others play a continuous loop advising listeners to retune to the FM. You would think that it would not be objectionable if some DX test programming would be included in this loop.

Are Canada's regulations for maintenance testing similar to those of the US (i.e. can stations operate their day power/antenna pattern at night)?

These ideas are not unprecedented. Many of us will recall that CHSJ 700 Saint John NB conducted a DX test in April 1998, shortly before it moved to FM. Unfortunately, many Canadian AM's have gone off since, with no test conducted. Canadian AM stations are rapidly dwindling in number, and time is running out if we are going to do something like this. Ideas or comments?
73     Bill Dvorak     Madison WI