Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 1450 sweep tones

In a message dated 11/7/2007 8:13:53 AM Central Standard Time,
jrenfrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>>     1450 CHUC is having its last day on  the AM band.  Periodically, there
are
announcements inviting  listeners to tune to the new FM.  The announcmeent is
accompnaied by  sweep tones.     <<

I wonder-- are we missing out on a great DX opportunity by not  approaching
Canadian AM stations that are scheduled to go off and  asking them if they can
run a DX test? Or even sweeps (or Morse  ID's) during their regular
programming, as Jim points out CHUC  is doing?

I know that while some stations continue simulcasting the FM, others  play a
continuous loop advising listeners to retune to the FM. You would  think that
it would not be objectionable if some DX test programming  would be included
in this loop.

Are Canada's regulations for maintenance testing similar to those of the  US
(i.e. can stations operate their day  power/antenna pattern at night)?

These ideas are not unprecedented. Many of us will recall that CHSJ 700
Saint John NB conducted a DX test in April 1998, shortly before  it moved to FM.
Unfortunately, many Canadian AM's have gone off  since, with no test conducted.
Canadian AM stations are rapidly  dwindling in number, and time is running
out if we are going to do something  like this. Ideas or comments?
73     Bill Dvorak     Madison  WI