Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] WBAL contact information

Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] WBAL contact information

This is good that they care, but why the need for such fancy equipment ?
Lets consider what most listeners, not DXers but listeners, use to listen to
AM at night. I'll bet that is the car radio ! So..all they need do is to
drive around on the fringes of WBAL's coverage area and see what WTAM's IBOC
(also WTIC's prior to Dallas SS when they switch to directional) is doing to
WBAL.

If they hear an uncomfortable hiss, chances are listeners will tune away.
Next step..drive in a little closer from the edges of fringe and see what
the adjacent IBOC does.

It should be too hard to spend a late evening driving around to their
desired coverage areas and areas where they have desired listeners at night
and seeing if the IBOC from WTAM is seriously compromising reception.

The average listener won't tolerate to much hiss or interference. As an
example, a few days ago we were leaving downtown Chicago and the hockey
game, and the Cubs had just won so over to WTMJ to see how the Brewers were
doing. There was good cx to the west and even on the Audi's (German cars
seem to have nice AM rx's) omni whip CKRM's C&W was = WTMJ and there's was a
SAH. I was perfectly happy listening to the Brewers lose under these
conditions, but my wife quickly said.."Neil..please..this is giving me a
headache".
The average listener, FMI, feels the same way my wife does.

At home, I would have turned a portable to null CKRM to the west and enhance
WTMJ to the north, but that option is not available in a car, and many
listeners aren't even aware of doing that with their typical in home AM
portables.

73 KAZ