Re: [IRCA] [mwc] 1181 still going

Glen,

With little or no evidence to back up this working theory, I'll share what
I've got.

Various news reports in the Miami area over the past couple of weeks have
indicated members of the Cuban exile community are receiving unconfirmed
reports that Castro has in fact passed away. These rumors have been fueled
by Castro's failure to appear in public for his 81st birthday.

If the US Government has knowledge of his death, or even strongly suspects
it, they may be preparing a lot of contingency plans of their own, including
jamming, and propaganda broadcasts into Cuba. Many Cubans still rely on AM
radio for their daily news and entertainment, so it would make sense for
that medium to get a lot of use.

I suspect that the 1181 transmitter, and the earlier tests this year on
other MW frequencies are all connected to that effort. The ability to be
frequency agile will be important to thwart efforts of the Cuban government
to jam such broadcasts. And other types of testing including propagation
studies, etc. would need to be conducted in advance. They may even be
"burning in" the transmitter and antenna system at full power to insure that
it will be ready for action once broadcasts begin.

Can't prove a word of it, of course, but I suspect it will prove to be on
the right track.

Les Rayburn, director
High Noon Film
100 Centerview Drive Suite 111