[IRCA] On-channel processor noise

Patrick and Scott,

I deleted the original that Scott wrote, but I get the "gist" of it in your
reply, and that is the constant annoying background noise that the
IBOC generation process produces.

I am "fortunate" to be able to listen to that noise on local WNCT-
1070 during the day.

That and the willy-nilly manner that the FCC has used to decided
who gets IBOC, viz. apply for it and its yours (and the adjacent
channel stations be damned), shows that the whole thing isn't
going to get very far (at least in the Carolinas) .

The demise of AM broadcasting seems not to be eminent here,
what with the constancy of the small, 1-kW daytimers that broad-
cast black and white gospel programming.

Are they going IBOC? I don't see it happening.

What happens when "fancy" (my word) stations like WNCT-1070
start interfering jamming them with IBOC hash? Then I think
perhaps I see a backlash occurring.

What has WNCT to accomplish with IBOC? Not a thing other
than add a level of complexity to its operations.

The above is a spur-of-the-moment observation, and not ordered
with any logic. But I've made my point.

As far as eliminating on-channel hash, I cannot see how that is
possible using an analog receiver except possibly by using a
second receiver and generating a wide-band replica of the hash
to be used in cancelling it in the first receiver.

Absurd.

Charles

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
Greenville, North Carolina