Re: [IRCA] DRM vs IBOC

Scott,

Yes, I think I did mention the issue with KGO when it happened. Now with
IBOC hash, KEX's hash is an issue during the day on 1180 and 1200 but
near LSS, KOFI 1180 and CJRJ 1200 get strong enough to totally over
power the hash without phasing. So where there are strong signals, that
will probably over power the hash on adjacents anyway. As you said, this
is the early stages and anything can happen. If they don't have the IBOC
coverage they want, I presume the stations can turn the IBOC power up.
That will increase the hash.
  Yes, KGO is one strong puppy. Never weaker than S9+20 at night and
like tonight close to S9+50 off the EWE antenna. What is a KUTR? Yes, I
have heard them, but they are tough to hear. KGNW Seattle owns the
channel to the NE/E Days. From the South, I get KORC Waltport, OR. KGNW
runs 50/5. At night they get tore up by WBAP. As far as 800 goes,
Penticton BC owns the channel running 10 KW there. Or I get a mix of
them and Sask. KPDQ is pretty non-existant most nights. So KGO will stay
QRM free I am pretty sure, unless the FCC gives nights to Ephrata WA,
which I doubt. Tom Reed that owns KTBI 810 is anti IBOC anyway.  They
run 50 KW day. No night power as they have to protect KGO, but that may
change with IBOC. The protection  rules may change. KGO is there 24/7 on
the internet for listeners worldwide too. But I have an idea there will
be lots of hash free channels. But unfortunately, being hash free is not
going to help my DX as the stations will be super strong. Example, KNBR
680 will stay hash free probably unless they go IBOC, even though KBOI
670 is going to go to IBOC. The SW EWE nulls Boise as I get KPUA HI
there every night. Unlikely the CBC will go IBOC on 690.  660 nothing is
strong enough other than CFFR at night here. It looks like the IBOC QRM
will be worse in the East, as the 50 KWers are so close unfortunately.

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager