Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] Re: DRM vs IBOC

Russ,

I found that out first hand back in the 90's while discussing IBOC at
NAB conventions. The broadcasters that were considering IBOC were not
interested at all to shut off their analog. Of course they would have a
lot to lose. Hardly anyone has IBOC radios and they might as well just
go out of business. What is really needed is that extra band that
broadcasters can experiment with with Digital. That is a win win
situation. Sell the new IBOC/DRM or whatever radios with both bands, or
some mix of "If you tune to the analog frequency of station X then if
IBOC is available the radio would seek out the IBOC signal on the new
band."
   Another engineer I know in So Cal wrote me to say that he has two HD
radios in two of his trucks. Neither do well with AM IBOC. Unless he is
stationary, the signal pops in and out of IBOC in driving around only a
few miles from the station. What good is it, I ask?

73,

Patrick

Patrick Martin
KAVT Reception Manager