[IRCA] Forwarded request for DX information

[IRCA] Forwarded request for DX information

Hi Everyone,

I was recently forwarded a letter written by a gentleman located in Ontario Canada.  He's re-entering DXing after a long time off and is looking for information. Since buying my last receiver, I haven't really kept up on current set-ups.  If you could post or email me with your thoughts, I would appreciate it. This is quite an all encompassing letter and I will compile your comments to send back to him. 73- Doug

Verbatim.

Dear Sir, or Madame,

Approximately 40 years ago I began DX'ing the AM Medium Wave Bands for a few years, with tube type receivers, and antenna's that I made.

Now that I have some time to myself, I have decided to get back into some serious AM DXing.  I am interested to know what type of receivers etc. and equipment (antenna's, tuners etc.) that your club members are using these days to tune into Europe, S. America etc.

No. 1.  I need a good, selective, sensitive receiver (new or used) to begin DX'ing again.  Also I would be interested to know, what type of antenna's are being used these days, to log those rare stations and broadcasts.

No. 2.  Any information on these items would be greatly appreciated.

My favourite part of this hobby is building antenna's to pick up rare DX etc.  As a retired communications engineer, I have some knowledge regarding radio waves + theory etc. (years ago I helped design and build the trans-Canada microwave system for T.V. and data transfer across our Country).

So now I just need to know what are the best receivers being used today for medium wave DX'ing and where can I purchase them?

What do you guys recommend for receivers and antenna's etc.  Also, what are the goals for your club?  Do you have contests etc.  How can I get in touch with club members?

Please advise if you accept new members?

Signed.