From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Charles A Taylor
Sent: March 21, 2007 9:27 PM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: [IRCA] R-F fields inside aluminum siding

Group:

Here's an observation:

We've a outbuilding in the back yard. It's designed as a garage, and has

aluminum siding.

I've compared reception of MW stations both in and outside the building
while using a
DX-398 receiver.

I cannot detect the slightest difference in signal strength of stations
anywhere on the
BCB whether I am outside or inside the building.

This appears to contradict totally theory about the propagation of radio

waves, viz:

A conductive enclosure will prevent penetration of low-intensity E-field

waves, and
will set up (being conductive) L-wave fields that will tend to cancel
L-waves that
contact the enclosure.

It's this effect that Patrick Martin observed while passing through a
steel-truss bridge,
and likening it to passing through a tunnel in that the metal shielded
the
area within the
bridge from radio waves.

Where is the error in my reasoning here?

73,

Charles

Charles A Taylor, WD4INP
Greenville, North Carolina