Re: [IRCA] Wobbler

Charlie,

 From what I have been able to tell of Wobblers, they are
oscillations of the carrier itself.

This can be difficult to hear -- or see with spectrum analyzer
software -- when listening in AM or SSB mode (often used to heighten
the Wobbler audio effect) because the beat note produced is, if you
will, one sided.  If you analyze a Wobbler in CW mode, though, it can
easily be heard and seen moving back and forth on both sides of the
nominal carrier frequency of the originating station.

So the answer as to what you hear is, it depends...on how you're
listening.  But the answer as to what it is, is that it oscillates
back and forth across the carrier frequency.  Or more correctly, is
the carrier moving back and forth in frequency.

Here is a link to an image of a spectrum display.  Taken in CW mode,
the center frequency was 800 Hz -- the BFO pitch -- and the wobbling
carrier can be seen with excursions to either side:
http://ScooterHound.com/WWWR/wobbler/wobbler7-5.jpg
There is more on all this at the Wobbler web site, link in my
signature below.

I have a lot of these traces -- even sent an appropriately formed one
to friends, turned on its side as a Wobbler Christmas tree -- and
should probably post more of them on the web site, since some are
even more spectacular than the one linked to above.

CMHW could be 840, 1290, or 1310, as listed in the WRTH, which is why
I usually go by frequency, network, and location.  Call letters are
really no longer used by any but a handful of Cuban stations and are
not maintained by that government.

I assume the station you're asking about is 840 Dobleve, presumed
Santa Clara, Villa Clara province, since this was only recently heard
with a Wobbler for the first time and reported here by Paul
Zecchino.  So far I've not heard that Wobbler on 840 but will keep
trying.  Sometimes Wobblers are a one time affair, and other times,
like 930 Radio Surco, Ciego de Avila, they seem to go on forever.

Long answer to a short question, hope it helps.

Curt
-------
W. Curt Deegan
Boca Raton, (southeast) Florida