Re: [IRCA] Mystery tone at 1610, 1020 and WWII

Re: [IRCA] Mystery tone at 1610, 1020 and WWII

Craig,
There are some pilot/navigators still alive from my uncle's Group of
which I'm an honorary member.  I'll see if they can shed some light on
this.  I can imagine the situation where a trans-Pacific navigator would
have looked at his watch, compass and RDF bearing and thought.  "Where the
heck am I?  My fuel's low and  I'm supposed to be there by now", then
transmitting a lost message for  distance and a bearing to the nearest
island.  I have a buddy who was a navigator in the 1960s on a C-124 while in
a Loran C "dead zone", got "temporarily lost" trans-Pacific heading to SE
Asia.  When his unit up-graded to 130's, he navigated the plane into Cuban
airspace and Migs scrambled. 73, Gil NN4CW