From: irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:irca-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
On Behalf Of Nick Hall-Patch
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2006 9:36 AM
To: Mailing list for the International Radio Club of America
Subject: Re: [IRCA] Mystery tone at 1610, 1020 and WWII

At 16:25 16/12/2006, you wrote:
>In the January 2007 QST magazine published by the ARRL, there is an
>interesting article regarding the problems of direction finding with loop
>antennas during WWII which gives a basis for understanding our experience
>in imprecisely pinpointing the mystery tone a few weeks ago.

Great write-up, Gil.  Makes one wonder though, how DXers have done so
well using the tuned box and spiral loop antennas over the years in
pinpointing overseas stations.    Ray Moore has had some excellent
results in Florida.   I must admit that very often I've just used the
loop to determine Asia vs. Australia rather than trying to get really
accurate results.

Also, bearings seem easier to find, particularly during sunrise
conditions, on channels below about 1400 kHz.  Often the higher
frequencies overseas stations can't really be nulled at all.

Sometimes bearings on northerly path stations come out more southerly
than they "should", especially during unsettled conditions.   Perhaps
this is evidence of elliptical polarization rather than a true
skewing of the path?   Adcock antennas would tell us apparently.   A
retirement project, I fear, even though former IRCA member Ben Peters
introduced them to me 25 years ago.

best wishes,

Nick

Nick Hall-Patch