Re: [IRCA] Mystery tone at 1610, 1020 and WWII

Re: [IRCA] Mystery tone at 1610, 1020 and WWII

> Considering the
> vagaries of propagation, "green" air crews, the RDF issues, and the
enormous
> distance involved with no landmarks scattered along the way, Maxwell's
> article certainly has more than just the ring of truth to me, but each is
> entitled to his opinion.

One thing doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  I can see a few degrees or
maybe more of RDF error initially.  But wouldn't the azimuth be in about the
right direction?  Follow the path, and as you got closer, redo the RDF check
and correct the course.  Closer in, those few degrees wouldn't be such an
issue.  I don't think it was a situation where the true path was west and
the RDF said north.  And they must have had a good compass to resolve the
180 degree ambiguity.

I'm waiting for an el-cheapo Ray Jefferson RDF I bought off eBay to arrive.
Then I can play around with the bearings to known stations day and night.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI