Re: [IRCA] TP 11 Nov + Phasing

At 07:08 PM 11/11/2006, you wrote:

>Walter Salmaniw wrote:
>> Are others able to
>> null strictly by sound without looking at ! the dials?  ........Walt
>> Salmaniw, Victoria, BC
>
>Actually I have difficulty trying to do it visually, just by ear works
>better for me.
>
>The key in nulling, whether using a phaser or a rotatable loop, is to
>turn the receiver AGC off (it should be off anyway to avoid added
>flutter/fades from sub-audible hets) set the AF gain to full, and the RF
>gain to comfortably below overload.
>
>I find the null is easy to attain like this, as there is no AGC trying
>to level out the effect of the nulling. Adjustment effects are really
>obvious.
>
>Rick Kunath

This is fascinating, Rick.  You're absolutely right.  In your preferred method, watching the meter is of no use, and it's simple by ear alone.  In fact this may indeed be the preferred method of using a phaser effectively.  I'm experimenting now nulling 1200 CJRJ to hear a Gospel program underneath without any difficulty.  Thanks!........Walt.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.