Re: [IRCA] Dare I Say Mid-Winter Anomaly??

Re: [IRCA] Dare I Say Mid-Winter Anomaly??

Mid-winter anomaly? It depends on where you are.  Chuck and I were at
Grayland this weekend.  It wasn't the exactly best I've ever seen there,
but it wasn't the worst either.

Between the two nights, we had audio on maybe 70-80 channels.  Japan was
quite poor both nights.  I think we could count the JO's heard on both
hands with a couple fingers left over.  The Korean peninsula was limited
to the usual powerhouses.  Alaskans were about average.  Chinese
stations were abundant.  Several Russians were heard on longwave this
morning, and I think I had 648, but that was it.  SE Asia was limited to
1575, tentative Vietnam 1242, and a weak 1475.

There was a decent low band DU opening Saturday morning, comprised
mostly of the usual suspects.  Pacific Island stations were good at
their local sunset Friday night/Sat AM.  Nada for DUs this morning.

This morning's Far East opening was mostly on low band as well.  The
only reliable signal above 1200 was HLAZ-1566.  A few others, even
powerhouses like 1287 1323 and 1575, would sometimes pop up like prairie
dogs, hang around for a couple minutes, and then dive back into their
holes.

On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is hearing only the local groundwave signals
and 10 is hearing Bangladesh-693 wipe out CBU with splatter, I'd give it
about a 5.

There were several interesting unid Chinese stations: 918 was good much
of the time and often had an echo, and it wasn't //either CNR network,
something under N Korea 657 for a while this morning, another under
Japan 594 yesterday, another mixing with Japan 1287, another with a
phone in show on 1125 sometimes quite good, someone with a minority
language on 1098, others on 828 603 585, and probably a few more I'll
remember after I hit the send button.

621 was interesting this AM with N Korea, a Chinese station I think IDed
as Heilongjiang, and a weaker third station with sedate music. Others
Chinese heard: Beijing RGD ID on 1026, CNR on 756 639 945 981 999 1008
et al, CRI on 1044 1323 & 963.

The fat lady ain't singing at Grayland just yet, though she might be
searching for her sheet music.

Bruce