Re: [IRCA] Interesting Conditions, and a Nice Catch

Patrick Griffith, N0NNK / WPE9HVW wrote:

> I believe that ground conductivity in Colorado Springs is extremely
> poor. The entire place sits on granite. I am 73 miles north of Colorado
> Springs and I am lucky to hear any of the AMs. OTOH the FMs on Pikes
> Peak blast in here. Pikes Peak is line of site in most of Denver.

No broadcast on Pikes Peak - you're thinking of Cheyenne Mountain, which
is also line of sight to most of Denver. When I was in town over the
summer, staying on the SE side of town (Aurora/Centennial area), the big
FMs on Cheyenne blasted in quite well, as did many of the TVs up there.

Cheyenne Mountain is an interesting location, as it's home to everything
from full class C facilities (92.9, 94.3, 95.1, 98.1, 98.9, 99.9, 102.7)
to C0 (90.5) to C1 (88.7, 91.5) to C2 (96.1, 106.3) to C3 (89.7, 105.5).

At one time, the community FM tower in St. Louis was home to everything
from C all the way down through C0, C1, C2 and C3 to class A. That's
changed a bit over the years - the full class C facilities on that tower
have been downgraded to C0, since the tower's not tall enough for full
class Cs. And the A and C2 facilities there have upgraded. So that
tower's now home just to C0, C1 and C3 stations, which is still kinda
cool, but not as cool as Cheyenne Mountain.