Re: [IRCA] Interesting Conditions, and a Nice Catch

Re: [IRCA] Interesting Conditions, and a Nice Catch

No broadcast on Pikes Peak - you're thinking of Cheyenne Mountain,
/////
Thanks for the correction Scott. I've lived here 26 years and I guess
I've fallen into the habit. Everyone around Denver refers to Cheyenne
Mountain and Pikes Peak interchangeably. I think we do that just to
thumb our noses at Colorado Springs. The two mountains are actually 12
miles apart.

The fire department where I worked here in the north Denver suburbs, and
the Pikes Peak Highway Authority, both had a repeater on the same UHF
frequency pair. The FCC approved this because we were horizontally
seperated by over 70 miles. But, of course, they failed to consider the
fact that the repeaters were line of site to each other. Ours was at
5,500 feet and theirs was around 12,000 feet with lower terrain along
the path between the two. So we had to live with one another for the
next 15 years.

Patrick Griffith, Westminster CO
http://community.webtv.net/N0NNK/
http://community.webtv.net/AM-DXer/