Re: [IRCA] Try Sleep Deprivation: TPs for 10/29

Re: [IRCA] Try Sleep Deprivation: TPs for 10/29

Nick's observations and data match my experiences quite a bit.  I tend
to get up earlier than most Graylanders - sometimes at 2 a.m. local
time, and often find conditions quite good then.  At that time of night,
the regulars tend to dominate.  It seems like the really good stuff
comes later - around sunrise.  But the dial is often quite good long
before sunrise.  There often seems to be a general decline an hour or
two before sunrise, when the enhancement kicks in.

I DXed for a couple of decades before I even heard of the idea of
sunrise enhancement.  Up until the late 70s, the norm was to get up in
the middle of the night in order to hear trans-Pacific DX.  This was
partly because many domestic stations had late night silent periods
(especially on Monday mornings), allowing the then-cochannel TPs to slip
through.  TPs on the open channels like 660 770 830 840 etc were
typically in from their local sunset until our sunrise  (this was before
the clear-channel breakdown).

Apparently the idea of sunrise enhancements wasn't totally unknown back
then.  In about 1971, Len Lockwood, one of the local old-timers, told me
the best time to hear Down Unders was right around sunrise.  At the
time, I made a few polite monosyllabic responses, but privately though
he was a bit off them mark.  It would be many years until I became truly
aware of sunrise enhancements.  Even after the TPs switched to the 9 kHz
plan, I followed a dual strategy of DXing at sunrise on weekdays (when I
had to go to work) and middle of the night on weekends (to take
advantage of what I thought were the "best" TP conditions).

It's interesting how opinions can change over time.   I don't think
anything's changed in the way signals propagate, but my DXing habits
have changed (99% of my serious DXing is now DXpeditions vs 20 years ago
when 99% was done at home), and the band has changed (much more domestic
QRM to deal with, more noise, etc) leading to someone stumbling onto the
truth.....

Bruce