Re: [IRCA] Try Sleep Deprivation: TPs for 10/29

At 15:27 29/10/2006, you wrote:
>I've become more and more curious about the excellent TP reception
>that I've been experiencing when I'm up 90 minutes or more before
>dawn.... more than 30 minutes before First Light.  I don't think that
>I completely understand Nick's explanation of this propagation that
>he uploaded yesterday, but I decided to try REALLY early this AM.

Hmmm.....I don't know that I provided an explanation, John, merely an
observation.  The explanations will have to come from people who
really know about this stuff; I'm afraid I'm just the messenger until
brain transplants are a bit more reliable, hi.

With that in mind, I've uploaded a couple of traces of 594 kHz
recorded here to http://www3.telus.net/7dxr/4john/594.pdf

One is from yesterday morning (28th), the other this morning (29th).

The trace for the 28th illustrates what I was talking about before
pretty clearly I think.   The signal from Japan pokes up around 0700,
before Tokyo sunset at 0750UT, increases in strength until around
1000UT , then fades back and stays pretty steady until if fades out
with our sunrise, with not much sign of dawn enhancement.  (halfway
between the signal first showing up and its final fade out at about
1500 would be nearer 1100UT however)  This sequence seems to be more
normal for late fall here for lower frequency Asians, though signals
can be stronger than observed on the 28th.  The weakish signal
overnight followed by a good boost at sunrise seems more common in
the fall and spring; on the higher medium frequencies, the boost at
sunrise model seems more likely through the winter months as well .

If you look at the better overall strength on the 29th compared to
the 28th, Bill Block's observations seem to have been right on the
money...yesterday, pretty poor, today pretty good,    But Bill heard
that just at sunrise, John heard it at 1200, and a good level can
certainly be seen at that time on the trace for the 29th.

594 did have a good enhancement from 1400 to 1420UTC in the
northwest.  Judging from John's, Walt's and Colin's comments (me, I
got two extra hours of sleep last night, so wasn't part of the
action), this peak was either heard only on my monitoring system
(based on tuned passive loop antennas), or was limited to 594's
signal. Or...the DXers were doing most of their sunrise listening
after 1420UT.  Unfortunately, I can only monitor a limited number of
frequencies, and 594 is used as my low band East Asia indicator, so
can't speak of other channels except for 612, which did have a true
sunrise peak, just so Walt could catch them at 1500UT.

best wishes,

Nick