Re: [IRCA] HD Radios - snap them up!!

>  They also love to repackage items that have been returned
>and sell them as new.  Nothing like cookie crumbs in the box
>and fingerprints on the CD to remind you how valued you are
>as a customer.
>
>   Mike

My favorite was about 2 years ago when I went to RatShack
to buy a 3-pack of MC-60 mini-cassette tapes for my
handheld recorder, packaging looked like factory-new. On
opening the package and trying one tape in play mode,
there was a woman's voice saying "is this thing working"
over and over.  I found misc. talking at the beginning of
all three tapes!

> Bob Young <youngbob53@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>   I don't know about other places but I bought something at Circuit
City a few
> months ago and they didn't give me the rebate coupon, I went back and
they
> gave me two others (which were not the correct ones. I never sent them
in
> and have learned a lesson, these places will do anything in their
power to
> keep you from sending in the rebate. It was excruciatingly difficult
for
> them to find my coupons, was a long arduous task which took such a
long time
> that I was willing to take what ever they gave me, I did and realized
that I
> was probably wasting my time and never sent them in which I'm sure is
what
> they were counting on. No it wasn't for an IBAC device either.
>
> Bob Young

My wife bought a HP laptop at one of the local chains that had five
different
rebates, the main one was $100 for the laptop itself. I filled
everything
out, made copies, etc and a few weeks later got a postcard from the
rebate house in MN saying the "item number had already been used".
I took all my material to the store. When they saw I had a xero copy of
all the barcodes, packaging etc. they gave her $107 on the spot!! This
was the mfgr's rebate. I had to give up my "it's been used"
postcard.....

I suspect someone was skimming the numbers off the boxes and
somehow sending them in. They seemed very anxious for this
case to just disappear.

The other four rebates (in-house, nic card etc.) all came back. She
was out of work then so this was a moderately big deal for us. It
totaled over $200 on a $1200 purchase.

I've always found that Best Buy will give you all the material along
with the register receipt, it's up to you to read it all. (the store
above
was not Best Buy, whom I never have problems with.)

- Bob