Re: [IRCA] [am] Wire..

To follow up..  I bought a 500' roll of #14 at Home Depot today.  Impatient,
I guess..

I went to the 550 site, and rolled it out.  The wire fit the field easily,
and it was aimed roughly south.

I had no attenuator, nor a tuner with me.  Consequently there was crud over
the lower part of the band.  It seems that the internal front end filter in
the Palstar R30CC changes at 1MHz.  Above that things were clear.  I could
hear the NYC stations well, and certainly the southern RI ones.  Off the
back it was pretty good.

Above about 1300 the directionality became very evident.  Local 1320 was
only S-7, and had a SAH on it.  As I went up the dial it got better.

Next time I go, I hope to have more wire, a real ground, a preselector or
the notch filter finished, and some other things.  I wish I could have been
that at sunset.  I think Caribbean-area stuff would be great on this..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI