[IRCA] Wire..

On Thursday I had some time to kill at the WDDZ-550 transmitter site waiting
for some work to be finished.  I took my truck out the the far edge of the
site.  Got out and walked over 300 paces in a straight line roughly on a
SSE/NNW bearing.  I probably could go much further to the south, if desired.
So, there's a great place to lay out a wire of a thousand feet..

While there, I set my truck so one of the loops nulled the tower.  I could
easily listen to WTAG-580 with no interference.  At the moment I have bids
on about 2,000 feet of #14 copper stranded THHN wire on eBay.  I'll probably
win at least one bid.  I'll make up a 9:1 transformer and a ground and see
what I hear.  If that works well, I'll duplicate the transformer and run out
two dissimilar lengths parallel to phase like Kaz does.

If that works, I'll try the whole setup down in New Bedford.  I'm sure I
could get a thousand feet run out there as well.

I'm also working on a two-section tuneable notch filter.  I breadboarded it
out and it works well.  I use a two section air-variable capacitor and two
inductors wound on toroids.  There's a ten ohm resistor from the input to
the first tuned section, another to the second tuned circuit, and a third to
the output connector.  Even just lying open on a board I was able to get
over 30db of null as measured by the R8B S-Meter.  In a shielded box with
matched inductors it oughta be even better.

I like the idea of being able to set up and tell people to leave if they get
in the way of DXing..

Craig Healy
Providence, RI