Re: [IRCA] Recording DX

--- Craig Healy <bubba@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Lately I just use a twenty buck Radio Shack #270-054 "Audio System
> Ground
> Loop Isolator" for any interface task.  The impedence match is
> usually just
> to be sure there's enough voltage at the input so the levels are
> good.  With
> a speaker output that's almost never an issue.
>
> The input to a computer is usually set to match the Institute of Hi
> Fi (IHF)
> specs of 1 volt into a 10k ohm load.  If a half volt or so of audio
> is
> presented, the level will be fine.
>
> One important function of the isolator or transformer you use is
> preventing
> grond currents from appearing as hum on the audio.
>
> I use there isolators at a number of radio stations, often in fairly
> important places such as production rooms.  Never offended the
> "Golden Ears"
> production people.  They should be more than good enough for DX
> archiving.

*** I use the isolator with my HQ-150 to reduce unwanted hum from
ground-loop which is of course what it's designed for, however I've
found that I get much better audio level on my recordings with more
moderate recording levels on the software using an output transformer
as well. The RS isolator doesn't really step up the impedance
adequately in my setup.

Russ Edmunds
Blue Bell, PA  ( 360' ASL )
[15 mi NNW of Philadelphia]