Re: [IRCA] Recording DX

> Paul-
>
> I use an Icom 718 receiver and run a patch cord right into the computer
> mic port. To record, I use 'Cool Edit'- which is great as you can get
> rid of the long spaces of time you do not want to have on file.
>
> Works very well!

You will get a better s/n ratio and impedance balance if
you use the Line-in (line-level - 200mv)

Mic i/ps on Sound cards are notorious for noise and distortion --
and there is nothing worse that distorted digital audio!

I use Win XP on a 3.2Ghz box, Audacity (open source/free) software
with the LAME DLL MP3 encoder / SoundBlaster Audigy sound-card (soon to
be updated to an M-Audio Delta 44 PCI Card and break-out box:
http://www.m-audio.ca/products/en_ca/Delta44-main.html
which is supreme over-kill for DX recording but will be integrated into
the DX Podcast production...
A Behringer 8 in - 2 out mixing board... and an
APEX415 Large Diaphragm Condenser...
http://www.apexelectronics.com/index.php?tmp=4&id=80

There: I have opened up a discussion thread that will
likely be lively!

--
Colin Newell
Editor-Creator www.coffeecrew.com | www.dxer.ca