Re: [IRCA] How local IS WBZ?

--- CHARLES HUTTON <charlesh3@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Patrick -
>
> There are a lot of DX'ers that have received DRM SW
> broadcasts from other
> continents, yielding a nice-sounding signal.

This is true...BUT you have to have to have a very
strong signal and absolutely no interference from
other stations at all. Otherwise silence. A lot of
folks like the audio but are FAR from impressed with
it's fragility.

>IBOC is a close cousin of DRM,
> so I expect IBOC DXing will be quite possible.

It's more fragile. It might decode if you have steady
very strong QRM free signals.

> When WLW and WOR did their nighttime IBOC tests,
> there was reception of
> nighttime IBOC over hundreds of miles.

Yes I could hear the hiss. There were NO commercial
receivers available at the time.

>And of course the extensive studies
> available on the NAB site show significant IBOC
> coverage somewhat slanted to
> make IBOC look good, but nonetheless still covering
> a lot of territory with  respect to analog.

I don't trust ANYTHING the NAB does after the CD they
put out with FAKED interference in opposition to LPFM.

> Craig's IBOC reception sure is poor. I really don't
> know how much of that is
> attributable to the radio, his local environment,
> the stations's IBOC
> implementation, or the base characteristics of IBOC.
> It's really too soon to
> tell.

> Chuck

More than one radio. Other engineers have had the same
results.

Powell

w4opw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
NNNN!