Re: [IRCA] How local IS WBZ?

> ..is there just one report that an IBOC station (I don't mean the
> ID mode), has been received well hundreds of miles away?

A couple of times stations have been reported as leaving the IBOC on at
night accidentally.  WOWO-1190 was the last I remember.  I was busy doing
some paperwork, and left my JVC on in digital-only for at least a couple of
hours.  Not one decode in that period.  I also have made a fair bit of
effort on getting WOR-710 IBOC on sunset skip.  Out of a lot of evenings of
work, only a few short decode sessions.  Nothing anyone would even begin to
call listenable.  Most of the decodes are short bursts similar to FM meteor
scatter.

The first JVC and later one I have now are identical in performance, so I
doubt there was an equipment problem.

I wish some station would fire up the all-digital mode some 3am so the few
of us with radios could see the potential.  The hybrid mode has two
significant drawbacks.  First, it's just flea power compared to the main
channel.  Second, this power is on an adjacent frequency guaranteed to be
clobbered by other signals.

I have no IBOC stations in my list of clients, otherwise I'd fire it up
during the experimental period.  The local engineer of the 920 station here
in Providence isn't interested in testing.

Craig Healy
Providence, RI