Re: [IRCA] [NRC-AM] 1530

On Wednesday 05 April 2006 00:14, Craig Healy wrote:
> I often check 1530 when on the way back from the Vineyard.  I never hear
> them when going past Middleborough on I-495 after sunset.  Daytime they
> are local strength there.  I doubt WCKY would be strong enough to
> override them at a distance of a couple of miles.
>
> Days WVBF is maybe S-8 or S-9 on the R7B at home.  Right now the S-meter
> is sitting around S-5 with a mess and little readable.
>
> Then again, it could simply be timing, if they don't do that every
> night.  I think that's still owned by Steve Callahan.  He's a local
> broadcast engineer, and is pretty much a stickler for following the
> rules.
>
> I won't vouch for him more than that, but I don't see a sign they are at
> day power.  They may well be at fifty or a hundred watts.  I couldn't
> tell that from here.

I can't tell you how many times (but it would be dozens) I've tuned past
1530 at night, noticed some talk under WCKY, did a bit of nulling of same,
and come up with WVBF.  As you and others suggest, it could be an
intermediate power rather than the full kW, but I'd say it's likely in
excess of 100 W.  BTW, for the non-hams out there, "gallon" is ham lingo
for 1 kW!

Oh well, at least WVBF is performing a public service rather than just
running a satellite-fed jukebox at night.

Barry, who went to bed at midnight and apparently didn't miss much...

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON