Re: [IRCA] Mystery station on 1030 KHz

On Tuesday 04 April 2006 06:19, Bill Harms wrote:
> There was a mystery station on 1030 last night 4/3-4/4.  It broadcast
> Salem Communications radio shows as follows (EDT).
> ????-0000-Hugh Hewitt
> 0000-0300-Dennis Prager
> 0300-0600-Michael Medved
>
> It sounded like a network feed because there were no local ads at the
> breaks.  In fact, at 5 minutes approx after the hour, you could hear
> a network countdown to the beginning of the shows. No local IDs were
> heard at all at times when you would expect to hear them at the TOH
> and the BOH.
>
> I lost my K9AY last night in the thunderstorm that passed through, so
> I could not null WBZ (more on that later).  The mystery station was
> equal to WBZ at times on my 300 foot longwire (NE). So.....  I
> suspect WDRU on late, given the signal strength and the fact they did
> not do any local spots or IDs.  Any ideas anyone.

After comparing notes with Bill and others on StarChat #mwdx last night, I
recorded on 1030 overnight.  I observed the same thing as he describes: no
TOH ID or other local inserts, and the countdown to "your SRN program"
starting at 5 minutes past the hour, following SRN news.

After researching a bit on the net, I found that the following 1030
stations may carry some SRN programming at times: WCTS-MN, KCWJ-MO, and
WDRU-NC.

The WCTS program schedule indicates that they sign off at midnight central
time.  Moreover, they do not carry SRN programming prior to sign-off at
the time we were hearing the unid station last night.

According to their program schedule, KCWJ carries music at night.

WDRU should be off at night, but if they stayed on, they would be
presumably be //WTRU-830.  The program schedule of WTRU doesn't show any
SRN programs that match what we heard.

Strike 3!  Any other ideas on this mystery station?  If they reappear
tonight, hopefully we'll have a few more folks tuning in to try and pin
down the location...

Barry

ps: I really hate crossposting to multiple lists, but I'll make an
exception in this case, since MW DXers seem to stubbornly refuse to
congregate on one list!

--
Barry McLarnon VE3JF  Ottawa, ON