[IRCA] Further thoughts on DC Power for DX rigs

At 11:49 AM 1/26/2006, you wrote:

>Charlie,
>
>It sounds like the R8 would do better running it on 12v than the SPR4
>then.

Maybe, and if you have a car, find out by fetching the R8 to the car or the
car to the R8. Recommend the former, as the latter could knock a hole in
your 2-wheeler. fetching the battery to the R8 is better, but then you've
got to undo the battery.

To anyone who would suggest putting two 12-V batteries in series to power
an R8 or and SPR-4, I would avoid it. It could damage the power supply
regulator. Especially the SPR-4. Perhaps overheat the pass transistor.

Instead, put a 12-V battery in series with a 6-V battery.

And some types of batteries should be exercised regularly, so power up your
set on the battery from time to time.

I have read about those power packs for emergency recharges to a low car
battery. If anyone tries one and tests for length of time running a set
satisfactorily, we would like to know about it. I would rather look at a
power pack sitting next to my set than a car battery.

Or throw a solidly-grounded wire onto the top wire of your outside power
line. If the wire doesn't explode, then the protective fuse on your power
line WILL and for sure you will need standby power. And your neighbors, too.

BTW, you can use fairly thin leads to connect your favorite set to your
favorite battery and be OK. Since the power demand of the set is low, #16
AWG wire would be OK for up to 50 feet, I think. That's for anyone who
thinks a heavy set of cables from battery to set is necessary.

73 de Charlie